The countdown to the March 19, 2021, new processing window for Same Day Automated Clearing House (ACH) now stands at just under six months. The ACH Rules change, initially announced in September 2018, will establish a third and later same day ACH processing and settlement window with an input processing deadline of 4:45 p.m. ET and settlement at 6 p.m. ET.
In support of the new processing window, the Federal Reserve Board approved modifications (Off-site) to FedACH® Services, National Settlement Service (NSS) and Fedwire® Funds Service to also be implemented in March 2021. Specifically, the Federal Reserve Banks will:
- Add a new, later Same Day ACH processing window to the FedACH Service, with a
- Deadline of 4:45 p.m. ET for originating depository financial institutions (ODFIs) to transmit files to FedACH Services
- Target deadline for distributing files to receiving depository financial institutions (RDFIs) of 5:30 p.m. ET
- Target for settlement of items in those files at 6 p.m. ET
- Extend the daily operating hours of NSS to 6:30 p.m. ET from 5:30 p.m. ET
- Extend the daily operating hours of the Fedwire Funds Service to 7 p.m. ET from 6:30 p.m. ET
- Extend Reserve Bank discount window operations to 7 p.m. ET
- Reduce the window between the close and reopening of the Fedwire Funds Service from two hours to 90 minutes
- Increase the threshold for extending the closing of the Fedwire Funds Service to $3 billion of delayed funds transfers from $1 billion, with the expectation that the threshold could be increased further to maintain the consistent 9 p.m. ET reopening of the service.
FedACH Services processing schedule
On September 18, 2020, we published a revised processing schedule that outlines the transmission windows, target distribution times and settlement schedules for FedACH Services and the FedACH SameDay Service. The new schedule will be effective March 19, 2021.
ACH Settlement Advices
With the implementation of the new processing window, there will be a new numbering scheme for settlement advices.
Same Day ACH Resource Center
We are continually updating our resource center to include the latest information about changes to Federal Reserve Financial Services in support of the new processing window. Key resources on this site include:
- FedACH processing schedules
- Same Day ACH and FedACH Services settlement tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tools to help pinpoint Same Day ACH entries
- Links to Nacha resources
We encourage you to contact your payments association (Off-site) for additional information and for answers to questions you may have surrounding the ACH Rules. You may also address any FedACH Services questions or concerns with your Federal Reserve account executive or with FedACH and Check Services Customer Support.